Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Ramblings about Creativity

http://www.parents.com/kids/development/inspiring-creativity-raise-a-trailblazer/

I read the above article in the most recent "Parents" magazine.

BUT, you know me, I can't share an article without a long post commenting my thoughts (maybe it's the creativity in me) :) So, read the article first, and then, if you are so incl
ined, read my "review" of this topic.

I've seen a lot of articles lately about the ineffectiveness of "over-parenting" (soccer mom syndrome). I'm glad! I was never in organized sports. I was never in formal music lessons. I was never in dance, karate, art class, or gymnastics. Now, these things can be good. If we have the means, we will probably involve C.T. in SOME of these types of skill-builders as the years go on. 


But, am I lacking in creativity because I never performed in a formal music recital or an art show? I don't think so... as kids, I think my siblings and I were very creative! While at my parents' house this summer, I found a lone surviving page from one of the many LEGO Town Christmas Pageants that my sister and brother and I wrote. I also found an entire notebook of unfinished short stories from the "Writing Club" that we created. I remember making a bunch of hot chocolate boxes into a city. I remember "Princess Emilisa and the Michael-dog" which I believe was a story my mom created and my sister Julie expanded. I could go on and on.


I believe a lot of these creative outlets were a result of our freedom to just be kids... to play and create all day long. I had no idea of the concept of Csikszentmihalyi's "flow" until I had classes about it in college, but I had experienced it for much of my childhood. As this article says, we didn't need a smartphone, an agenda, or educational narration from a parent. We were unsupervised most of the time, we were outside many hours a day, we were simply given materials (like empty hot chocolate boxes) and left to run with it.


I'm not saying that parents don't play a role... I just think it matters how you do it. My mom was VERY involved in our lives-- I mean, we were homeschooled; we were with her 24 hours a day! But did I ever write a "secret play" like the boy in this article? MANY! Not because I was afraid of my parents making a big deal about it, but just because sometimes the act of simply CREATING without need for recognition of the end result is important. 


And mom DID recognize most of our creative accomplishments... looking through her storage room this summer and finding VOLUMES of homeschool portfolios, posters, and even pieces of painted Easter egg shells is testimony to that fact. Furthermore, being a homeschool mom, she was especially able to foster creativity in us as kids. When I decided I wanted to write a short historical fiction story about life in our town in the 1800s, mom made a local history unit study part of our curriculum. I think the important thing about encouraging creativity in kids is to let them explore. As a parent, you are a facilitator, but you let THEM lead. (Note: obviously there is a balance here; and there IS a need for structure. But that's a whole different discussion)

One last thing... bringing THIS discussion to a practical conclusion. I was recently talking with a food service director at a camp. She shared with me that one of her greatest frustrations is the lack of initiative in her kitchen workers. She was talking to one of them about this, and he explained that most of them were afraid of doing something the wrong way, so it was easier just to wait until the boss told them what to do. Employers see this all the time! By raising a generation where every accomplishment is praised (kindergarten graduations...) and every second is a lesson ("what color is that bucket, Jimmy?"), many kids are forgetting how to think for themselves, and have unrealistic expectations about what real life is like. When creativity and problem-solving is EXPECTED in the real world, many young adults realize that much of their "creativity" came from their parents. I'm still a new parent, but I definitely have the tendency to over-do my praise of my son. ("Yay! You got your first tooth!") But at this point, he doesn't recognize it, so I can still celebrate these accomplishments for my own benefit (and the benefit of his grandparents) :) I'll just have to dial it back as he gets older, I think. But, the good thing is, DESPITE my parenting, I can already see creativity in this little ten-month-old; and it's not in the times when I am pointing out the colors of his tractor. It is times like right now, when he is driving the TV remotes around the furniture, singing to himself. He is most creative when I just let him be. I hope I find the right balance in both guiding him and letting him guide me as he grows up, not only so he can compete in a job climate that will REQUIRE creative thinking, but also just so he can be a well-rounded individual. 


Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment